Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Yoga for a Rainy Day

OK so it's gray, chilly, drizzly-raining here for approximately the 500th day in a row. Now don't get me wrong, I like rainy days...in moderation. But moderation, this is not.

So in addition to downing copious amounts of caffeine (by which I mean I down 2 cups of tea because anything stronger or more will render me a hand-shaking, stuttering, sweaty, caffeine-sensitive mess), I try to do a yoga pose or two for energy.

What yoga poses are energizing? Oh, I'm so glad you asked!

BACK BENDS!

Now, I am not suggesting that anyone leap into wheel or any other super-intense back bends. Especially without warming up first (bad, bad idea--don't do it!), but you can probably do a little back bend safely and still benefit energetically.

Option 1:  In a desk chair
Prep: In your desk chair, clasp your fingers behind your head to support your neck. Sit up tall. See how your neck is right in line with the rest of your spine as you sit here? Yeah, keep it that way as we start to recline. Don't let your head flop back--that will compress your cervical vertabrae. Now, supporting the head with the palms and keeping the neck long, lean gently back so that your upper back arches gently and your heart lifts. Keep your elbows wide and your heart open. Take 5 deep, energizing breaths. Come back up slowly.


Option 2: On your mat (or rug) with a rolled blanket (like a cigar)
Prep: Sit up tall. Supporting the neck as described above, engage your abs and slowly recline back over the blanket roll (it should be lined up under your armpits as you come back). Lay all the way down on the floor, still on top of the blanket, with each rolled end extending out past each armpit. Keep the elbows wide and the hands supporting the head OR straighten the arms and reach out and up (away from your toes). Take 5 deep energizing breaths. Come back up slowly.

See if you feel a difference. Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. It is crazy how much energy back bends give. Once my yoga teacher and I got carried away with her helping me with drop backs, and I was wired all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that amazing?! I once did a backbending class and had major insomnia too. No idea why, but it works!

    ReplyDelete