Friday, May 7, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Me!

I am celebrating an anniversary. No, not a wedding. No, not a meeting. No, not a break-up. Well...perhaps a break-up of sorts.

You see, exactly two years ago I left my corporate job. After 13 years in corporate communications (marketing, PR, and publications), nine of which were in financial services, I had gotten progressively more burnt-out and disillusioned, until I was a miserable, depressed, angry little wretch with one wrist chained to my desk and the other clutching a martini at 5:01 p.m.

And then, in May 2008, I left. Just like that, I was done. Well, not exactly “just like that,” but that’s a post for another day.

So, “just like that” I was free! The corporate shackles were broken! I was a new woman! I couldn't wait to start my new life! Open the next chapter! Ahhh…Sweet liberation!

Then I realized: I had absolutely no idea WHAT the next chapter was going to be. I was finally free...but free to do what?

To combat the mindlessness and soullessness of my corporate job, and to deepen and enhance my decade-long yoga practice, I had enrolled in a yoga teacher training program and spent 15 months getting my yoga teacher certification at night and on weekends. In the wake of my leaving my job, and given my general lack of direction, as well as the fact that I had spent thousands of dollars to get certified, I wondered if now might not be a good time to give "yoga teacher" the ol' college try.

And now, here I am...two years into my yoga career and loving it.
WHY do I love it? Well, I'm so glad you asked!

I love it because for the first time in my career, I actually feel appreciated. When I see a student's practice change or evolve or shift--however subtly--I feel gratified. I know that I helped them to make that change or evolution or shift.

I love it because for the first time in my life, I’m actually doing something that I am genuinely interested in.
I love it because for the first time in my life, I feel like my work directly contributes to a better world. Happier, more relaxed people create a better world. Ergo, the more people I reach, the greater the subsequent consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment